Followers

Sunday 14 February 2016

Love is in the Air at MMW

Hi everyone
After Mixed Media World blog took a rest in January we are all back with a bang for February and as we launch this months challenge on valentines day our theme for this month is

"Love is in the air"


I decided to have a go at a Finnabair style canvas, my first attempt in this style and great fun to make.







I started by preparing my canvas with glueing on all my chosen bits, this style allows you to use up anything you have lying around. I blew the dust off a box of flowers that I can't remember the last time I used any from, a string of plastic pearls that the colour had worn off, the frame is the reverse side of a small canvas, bits of doily, lace, torn papers, stencilled texture paste, hot glue running down, and bits of Tim Holtz idea-ology. when all was dried I then covered the lot with several coats of gesso










Then time to add the colour, I decided to go for a grungy look so chose to start with distress sprays in ground espresso and hickory smoke, spray dry, spray dry, spray dry etc until I was happy. The distress sprays give a translucent finish. so to add more depth I added the same colours from the distress ink pads using a blending tool. I thinned down some Paperartsy white fire gold paint and added it to a spray bottle I managed a few sprays to create some splatters before it clogged up the mister (note to self don't do that again). Still wanting to deepen the colour in places I used more Paperartsy paints this time french roast and old gold until I was happy with the result.





Here you can see the main detail. I covered the reverse side of the mini canvas with tissue paper and applied with gel medium to give the canvas texture and to also cover up all the staples that you could see on the back. The little MDF heart has had the same tissue paper treatment and was then painted using Paperartsy london bus red, the red was then toned down using the colours from the main canvas.













Here you really can see the textures and the heart is nestled in the frame sitting on some bandage that I have coloured to match.
I have added a Chit Chat sticker that has had the same grungy treatment.















Texture paste through Tim's Ironworks stencil and the hot glue runs.


















Here shows the lace and the doily just peeking out from behind the frame.











So that's how I have interpreted this months theme, hope you like it. The team have come up with some stunning pieces which you can see HERE.
We would all love to see your love themed mixed media makes so hope that you will come and play along with us this month. Our fabulous sponsor to start the year off, is one close to my heart as I'm part of their design team, and is That's Crafty. Laura, owner of That's Crafty, has given us a £20 voucher for our lucky winner to spend in the hugely stocked online store, you'll have no problem spending your winnings.
Thanks for popping by and I hope we'll see you over at MIXED MEDIA WORLD this month.
Have a wonderful Valentines Day and I'll see you soon
I would also like to enter this into Anything but Cute challenge theme Grungy Love
and
Stamps and Stencils theme Splatter, sptitz and sploosh
Love
Amanda X

17 comments:

  1. Stunning project. Loving the elements, the layers and gorgeous colours you've used. Thank you for explaining the process and techniques, great inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, very different for you but it's a stunner alright ;)
    No. 1 fan huggy hugs
    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Amanda this piece takes your breath away. Absolutely mind blowing. Can you tell I love it.

    Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
    ShirlsCards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Amanda this is gorgeous! Love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely brilliant piece!! I love how you used the reversed little canvas as a frame and what a brilliant way to dust off some flowers lol and use them! The hot glue drips are a great addition too. Altogether a stunning creation, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A gorgeous canvas Amanda, wonderful texture and details.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - that's a stunning canvas, Amanda - the vintage colours make it look like the glamorous boudoir of some long lost beauty - amazing embellishing and I love the glue drips!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning canvas Amanda, love the different textures and the glue drips add another dimension, especially with those vintage colours.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow gorgeous textured collage, love it very much. Great step by step as well, thanks :) Happy Monday, Shirleyxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunningly beautiful piece of art, Amanda! Amazing textures with those glue drips! I love all the wonderful elements so perfectly arranged! Brilliant!
    Thank you so much for joining in our Grungy Love challenge at Anything But Cute! Branka DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pop of red! Gorgeous textures too!
    Thank you for joining our Grungy Love challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Hugs
    Samra DT
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, what a gorgeous creation! I loved it at the Gesso-ed stage by with your colouring it looks absolutely stunning, adding the pearls was such a fantastic idea, they are beautiful!

    Thanks so much for joining in our 'Grungy Love' challenge at Anything But Cute. Anne DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning, love this Amanda, especially in shades of gold :D x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you giving the Finnabair style a try, and you did it so well! I love the addition of the beads--so clever! And the pop of red with the textured heart is just the perfect touch! Love it all!
    Thank you for joining our Grungy Love challenge at Anything But Cute. Hugs! Sara Emily DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous project. I love all the feminine elements that you turned into something grungy. The colour palette is terrific and I love the pop of red. Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amanda this is stunning! I love the shabby chic quality you have achieved, gorgeous textures and colours. Thank you for sharing this with us over at Stamps and Stencils . Toni x

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to leave me a comment, I really appreciate it.